What are some possible benefits of dating apps?
According to a 2023 report by Pew Research, 53% of 18-29 year olds have used a dating app or site.
A focus group of Northeastern students identified the following benefits of online dating:
- You have access to a wider pool of people
- It is easier to connect with people and start a conversation
- It feels lower stakes than in-person connections
- You can specify things about yourself and what you’re looking for
- Sexual orientation is often explicitly stated
- There are more opportunities to pursue queer relationships
- You can more efficiently filter out people you’re not interested in
- Users may be more transparent with their intentions
- You can review how you come across to others
- You can find and connect with people with shared interests
- It can be fun
There can also be risks or drawbacks to online dating. This can range from negatively impacted self-esteem to discrimination, sexual harassment, violence, or exploitation. Take note of how online dating is impacting you. If you find engaging with it is causing you to compare yourself to others or is taking a toll on your self-esteem, consider taking a break.